Wednesday, July 4, 2012

LEGO Fan Survey (2012)

The Survey Results

LEGO has a wonderful tradition of annual fan surveys. They are a short, 10-15 minute jog through the park of voicing your opinion to the company online. This publication of the results, which is the first that I am reading, tells a lot about them.

First, they are using their heads. They are being aware of the demographics of their clients; no, not where they are from but their age and gender.

I am pleased to be reading that a lot of respondents are adults, quoted to be 7/10 ages 18-44, took the survey. Yet, this raises a question. Are they legit AFOLs or are they parents? I believe I took the survey and did not recognize many a question that deals with this strand. Yet, they hint that many parents indeed took it since the team indicated that fans and LUGers are a minority.

The best news. Fan participation. LEGO has hit the social books like no other. Digitally, MANY people have taken to posting videos on YouTube, sharing photos on Flickr, and participating in Rebrick and others. But what matters is the rise in events in the likes of Brick Fiesta, BrickMagic, and the rising popularity of BrickWorld. I really like how this is becoming such a medium of communication that allows networking, insight, and camaraderie. The team hints that this result comes from the influence of LUGs. Gotta love this. LEGO has gone from bud to rose in a matter of years. I agree but also disagree with their contention. I think it is the outburst of YouTube videos, viral or not, and company promotion such as LEGOLAND and new stores, that has influenced the added fan interest. LUGS... yes, but only a part of it.

Lastly, the MOCs results makes LEGO stand out as an art. The reception of work is what makes this truly enjoyable, and with their statement I agree. I love it when people critique my work; it makes my vision melt with theirs. It is a point of conversation that builds up the points about fan involvement.

Overall very encouraging results. But they are not entirely asking about the products but the fan experiences. Past surveys would ask people what lines they liked, what was missing, etc. Perhaps this is a new aim? I could see this as the roots for which LEGO handles PR in the coming years.

In closing, I love the improved quality of the company. They are opening up. They are looking to the fan and the consumer to find out how to create the business. They are finally becoming well rounded and not only serving kids but all ages. They are catering to the mixed purposes of the brick even though I see the use of the word "play" in the statement. They are now focusing on the WHOLE audience which consists of not only children who play with it but the adults who build, display, and enjoy the brick.

Maybe I would ask, is the LEGO brick itself a toy after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment