Friday, June 1, 2012

Element, and modern buildings...

This weekend should be a great time to continue Element. Of course, rainy days are in turn building days. I have purchased parts from the Sunrise PAB wall last week in hope of utilizing them on this building and they may just be used up tomorrow!

Even though it is not Café Corner scale the whole way up, I still like building these edifices. I have been sick of dealing with suburban or rural 1-2 story midgits and the Modular series.

In fact, if you ask me, what has been offered in the modular series was not my taste and not really modern enough to suit it. The old buildings are nice structures and architectural challenges, do not get me wrong. It is just that I want to see more flashy, cool and sleek modern structures get that same treatment, to be released by the LEGO company.

It is like saying; the modular buildings define the main streets of the town, but the new skyscrapers define the future. But then again, LEGO would not see cost effectiveness in producing a 7000 part skyscraper. Yet keep in mind, there are 1 to 2 story modern buildings that can be replicated in detail as well.

Anyway, what I do like is the presence of challenge and motive to create. If these sets were spoon fed, I wouldn't be able to really think of doing much.

Element has been looking pretty good. Some of the garage has made it to the third floor and the windoes are coming in for some sections. Though, the rest of the building has probably not been raised above a brick's height. The interesting idea will be that the complete lower garage module will look a heck of a lot like a square stadium. It will be 20"x20"x18" in height, so "humongous piece" must be the right set of words to describe it.

Yet, Rob W. of the GFLUG told me something I would consider very motivating. By identifying the build as a challenging model, I am now in the phase of engineering a way to complete the structure effectively. Challenge you ask? More like the curved glass panels that span the rest of the building are the hardest thing to model. I'll probably make things in blocks of 6 and 2 studs with a slight angular turn.

Another challenge is allowing for incredible redundancy with balconies to be displayed. Supposedly, SNOT is my best friend but it can be more difficult to implement. Every 3-brick floor I will end up needing to put in plates with the patio section protruding from the model. Multiply that by about 400.

All I can say is... if I can dream it I can build it. Challenge accepted. Expect Element in display from 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment