Wednesday, January 11, 2012

LEGO 10224 - Town Hall

Town hall by Chicken Boy
Town hall, a photo by Chicken Boy on Flickr.
This is the new 2012 Modular Building produced by LEGO, another Jamie Berard design, and a continuation on the use of bizarre colors to get the design done.

Once I saw the dark orange, I was very happy. Dark orange is a color I haven't had much of except for slopes and a few plates. Just recently I added a wee 20 or so parts off of the Pharoah's Quest line. Now the ability to have "cold, hard brick" is here.

It looks like the outlines of the 1x8 brick are visible, which is just great. In Plant City, FL there is a tavern which is painted the equivalent. This can really help my build. I am believing by the small thumbnail images the baseplate (or the tiles) are dark tan so that helps.

This building is also the tallest of the modulars according to a stand-by-stand comparison with the two previous buildings. You can even make out that it's a hell of a structure here. It beats the Grand Emporium by about four inches.

What I like is the focus on the first floor entrance. I like the capitol style awning over the entrance, and the steps. The clock is an excellent touch as well.

Now, what I DON'T like are the following:

The Dark orange components of the façade impose a very basic look. It looks blocky especially with the log bricks. Yes, there's bits and pieces of something on the window tops but it looks a bit simple compared to the likes of the Brigade and the GE.

It looks too much like Fire Brigade in structure. But then again, how would a town hall look? Though, you can imply it is a direct replacement of said building.

As much as I like the provision of dark orange, it does not look right in a Town Hall setting. Maybe Berard is thinking deep / out of the box in that most brick buildings have a nougat color in retrospect.

But anyway, the set looks great and I am looking forward to an overall review. As they say, don't judge the book by its cover. And I am showing you a share of its cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment